Well, here we go everyone!
Every couple of weeks I will offer a selection of artisanal cheeses from across Canada. That’s right no international cheeses! My interest is about discovering the cheeses and cheesemakers from British Columbia to Newfoundland. And to be frank, there is some pretty amazing cheeses.
Right now I am offering a Cheese Box of 3 selections. Each selection of cheese is 115 grams, for a total of 345 grams (3/4 of a pound), giving you a wonderful tasting (dégustation) for 2 to 6 people.
$17.50 includes your choice of 3 cheeses in reusable wrappings, the box to store them in, some crackers to get you going and a description of each cheese to keep in your little black book of yummy foods.
This selection of cheeses tends to be in the medium and above range of strength. Canadian farmer’s milk is some of the best in the world; therefore, I look for cheeses with complex tastes and satisfying finishes as opposed to variations in strength. Cheese is like a fine wine. Both depend on terroir, the earth, flora and fauna, altitude, sunlight and rain which enrich it. Wine develops its nose, characteristics and complexities from this dependency. The milk of cows, goats and sheep, from which great cheese is made does too!
CURRENT CHEESE SELECTIONS:
14 Arpents :
- This is a farm cheese made from the whole milk of brown Swiss cows. This square-shaped cheese is creamy and covered with a wonderful orange rind. Full of flavour, it has a slight taste of hazelnut. The flavour becomes more pronounced as it ages. The cheese is named after a road that borders the dairy, le Chemin 14 Arpents. (14 acres).
- Fromagerie Médard – Saguenay-Lac-St-Jean
- Made with pasteurized cow milk. Washed rind and soft paste. Aged 30 days.
Compton Peppercorn Raclette:
- This is a certified organic cow’s milk farm cheese. Ripened for a minimum of 90 days, it has a semi-firm golden paste, a coppery-coloured washed rind and a supple, melting texture. It has a subtle fruity aroma of butter crab apples and is very well balanced on the palate. La Raclette de Compton is an all-round all-occasion cheese. Super for grilled cheese sandwiches!
- Fromagerie la Station de Compton – Eastern Townships
- Organic thermalized cow milk washed rind, semi soft paste. Aged 3 months.
- A firm veined farm cheese made with organic cow’s milk. Its grey, naturally bloomy rind gives this cheese a unique appearance. Tasting of fresh mushroom and caramel, it is sure to become a favourite. Rassembleu is also ideal for people who want to develop a taste for veined cheeses who don’t want that aftertaste often associated with the stronger Stiltons and Roqueforts.
- Les Fromagiers de la Table Ronde – The Laurentians
- Organic pasteurized cow milk. Natural rind, firm, blue-veined paste. Aged 60-80 days.
Brie Paysan :
- A beautiful creamy cheese, le Brie Paysan is made with whole organic milk. Wrapped in a fine bloomy rind whose smooth, melting paste exudes flavours of warm cream with a vegetal note. Personally a favourite of mine. These are the same people who make Bleu d’Élizabeth.
- Fromagerie du Presbytère – Centre du Québec
- Made with organic pasteurized cow milk. Aged 30 days.
Ile-aux-Grues Old Cheddar :
- Depending on its aging period, this cheddar presents different tastes. The two year old cheese is a firmer and dryer cheddar with unparalleled creaminess. In your mouth, you get a slight granular texture typical of older cheddars. It is a true island cheddar with a robust taste that is perfect in the morning over blueberry jam and toast.
- Fromagerie de l’île-aux-Grues – Chaudières-Appalaches
- Made with thermalized cow milk. Aged 2 years.
Present your cheeses on any board you might have with some dried or fresh fruit, nuts, sprigs of Italian parsley and you are ready to go. And remember small amounts are better in order to really taste the beauty of each cheese. Allow them to settle in your mouth and then compliment it with a light red or white. And remember, let your cheeses reach room temperature before serving!
CLICK here TO PLACE YOUR ORDER & PAY…
…and thank you from The Cheese Gourmand